Website H.C. Starck Solutions
The R&D Senior Staff Engineer is needed for supporting strategic growth initiatives at H.C. Starck Solutions. This position will be based in Euclid, Ohio reporting to Mike Stawovy, Director – Growth and New Technologies. H.C. Starck Solutions has an active research program in the development of refractory metal products. The candidate will lead research projects supporting customer applications including, but not limited to, Aerospace, Defense, Industrial, Electronics and Medical markets.
- Principle investigator for projects in process development and optimization of refractory metals manufacturing processes.
- Lead test experiments designing, collecting and analyzing material property data for in-house and vendor produced tungsten and molybdenum-based materials.
- Supervise and mentor a small team of junior engineers and technicians.
- Work closely with supervisor, the rest of R&D, and Market teams to develop materials and parts in support of H.C. Starck Solutions’ business.
- Support Sales and Marketing Teams, and H.C. Starck customers in determining how to best support their development work, as well as how to best address potential performance issues.
- Optimize, control and support launch of processes into production.
- Support Operations involved in manufacturing of parts and Market teams to resolve production quality issues by providing analytical and characterization data.
- Develop and coordinate internal capabilities and external supplier and vendor relationships – including universities, National Labs, etc.- for processing materials to meet and exceed our customer expectations and internal standards.
- Travel to vendors, customers, conferences and H.C. Starck Solutions’ production facilities in support of growing business sectors.
- Pursue and protect Intellectual Property rights as appropriate.
Required Experience & Qualifications
- Doctorate Degree in Material Science/Metallurgical Engineering strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s / Master’s in Material Science/Metallurgical Engineering considered if supplemented by compelling professional experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of metallurgy and materials science required, refractory metals preferred, experience with molybdenum or tungsten strongly preferred.
- Experience with hot and cold rolling of metals preferred, experience with thermo-mechanical processing of refractory metals strongly preferred.
- Experience with powder metallurgy preferred, experience with powder metallurgy of refractory metals strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of Metal Additive Manufacturing technologies including powder-bed fusion, directed energy deposition, binder jetting and AM post-processing.
- Strong statistical analysis skills as applied to material development such as significant sample size, gage R&R, tests for variance required. Six Sigma or equivalent training preferred.
- Must have attention to detail and hands-on attitude.
- Effective communication of technical information to both external customers as well as internal management, Operations, R&D, and Sales & Marketing.
- Must work effectively with internal and external customers.
- Must be able to design and conduct product/process development experiments in an industrial R&D setting, recommend/propose future R&D efforts based on knowledge, experience, and market needs.
- Must have proficiency in working knowledge of project management and demonstrated ability with handling of multiple projects as team leader and/or team member.
- Must have prior experience in writing, formal reports, publication papers, and in putting together presentations for technical/industrial conferences and publications, as well as in presenting work internally, at customers, or at conferences in front of an audience.
- Must have a goal oriented and self-directed skill set.
- Must have effective written and oral communication skills with fluency in technical English.
- Education in Materials Science, Metallurgical engineering, or related field.
- BS Degree with 8+ years of relevant experience.
- MS Degree with 6+ years of relevant experience.
- Ph. D. with dissertation on relevant topic + 3 years of relevant experience.
- U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident status.
H.C. Starck Solutions offers a highly competitive compensation along with excellent benefits, including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k) with company match. Email your resume to email@example.com.
H.C. Starck Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer supporting diversity in all our business practices.